What is CBT?

The first thing you have to do is get yourself a suitable trainer. Once you’ve chosen your CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) provider and booked your course - then we suggest you get familiar with the Highway Code. This will really help you.

Remember – the CBT can only be delivered by a Driving Standards Agency (DSA) approved training school, and all the ones we have recommended are approved trainers.

On the day.

Before hand, your trainer will brief you on all of the following. For starters, wear something suitable for riding - don’t turn up in shorts and a t-shirt, even if it’s a hot day. Also avoid wearing trainers or soft shoes. A decent jacket, boots, gloves and jeans are the minimum. Another thing - make sure your helmet is in good condition. It should be free from any visible damage and have a secure fastener - if it's a poor quality your trainer may not let you ride. And remember it is a long day -  so try getting a good night's sleep.

What the CBT involves.

The course is divided into 5 main sections, which you’ll be assessed on. There is no time limit, but each one must be completed before you can move on. So just relax and take each section one at a time. It’s really not that bad! You have to spend at least 2hours on the road with your instructor, with a de – brief at the end of the ride.This is what you could expect in each section of the CBT:


This is classroom based. (Yeah – boring, we know – but very necessary!). The instructor will take you through what you could expect during the course, as well as cover all the legal aspects of riding on the road

Practical on site training.

This is where you’ll actually get into contact with the bike. You’ll be shown the controls and you’ll be taken through some of the basic checks that you need to do each time before riding, as well as shown how to start the bike.

Practical on site riding.

This is where the real fun begins! You’ll move onto an off road area to start riding.

Starting off with learning how to use the clutch to take off, followed by some exciting things like emergency stops and turns.

Practical on road training.

Now, it’s back to the classroom for a well-deserved break from riding.

You’ll get a pre–road ride briefing, covering the Highway Code, how to stay visible, speed control, road signs and how to ride defensively.

Practical on road riding.

This is what you have been waiting for. You’ll be taken out on the road for a ride. Your instructor will start you off on quieter roads and then move you onto faster, busier roads.

Once your instructor feels confident that you are safe and competent to ride on your own, you will be issued with the DL196 (CBT) Certificate. Here are a few useful things you need to know about the CBT Certificate:

  • It is valid for 2 years
  • It entitles you to ride on the road unaccompanied while displaying L Plates
  • Your CBT certificate does not allow you to carry pillion passengers or ride on motorways
  • You will need to re-take the CBT if you do not pass both the theory and practical tests before the CBT Certificate expires.

A full car licence gives you provisional motorcycle entitlement although you must check that this is visible on your licence.  You need to ensure that it shows Category A provisional motorcycle entitlement on your licence.

Mopeds Only.

  • If you passed your car test before February 2001 you are automatically entitled to ride a moped without L Plates or taking the CBT (although it is always advisable to take this introductory training). You can also carry a pillion passenger.
  • If you passed your car test after February 2001 you automatically have provisional moped entitlement but you will need to take a CBT. The certificate is valid for moped use for the duration of your car licence. You will also be allowed to ride without L Plates and carry a pillion passenger.

Important things to note about a Provisional licence.

  • If you hold a provisional motorcycle licence (Category A) or a full car licence issued after 1st February 2001 you will need to successfully complete a CBT Course before riding any moped, motorcycle or scooter on the road.
  • You need to apply for a Provisional Category A licence here.
  • If you have a full car licence ensure that it has provisional Category A entitlement.
  • If you have a provisional licence issued at 16 years - make sure that it includes Category A entitlement and CBT.
  • If you hold a full car licence issued before 1st February 2001 you are entitled to only ride a 50cc restricted moped on the road without L plates and you can carry a passenger.

If you are a learner driver you must take and pass your theory test before you book your practical test, however this is not needed for CBT ONLY!

2019 Copyright D&D Safe Rider Motorcycle Training